Tuesday, May 12, 2009

26 weeks

Seems like this is a good time to start our blog, because we just reached an important 26 week milestone. If the babies came today, they'd need a lot of medical help but their lungs are developed enough that they would be okay. I have every intention of keeping them in my belly for a while, but it's still nice to have made it this far.

My intent with this blog is to keep people informed about the progress of the babies and my pregnancy overall, and answer some of the common questions I've been getting. The most common one lately is "when are your due?", which usually comes from poor unsuspecting people behind the counter at the coffee shop or in the hallway at the daycare. Which then causes me to explain that I have three months left, but I'm carrying triplets (are you serious? you're kidding, they say) so they'll come early, blah blah blah. Then they look stunned and ask me what I'm going to do, and I say everything will be fine. Which then makes me realize (again) how far I am down the river of denial. Oh well....everything will be fine.

Just as a recap: We've got three babies in there, two boys and one girl. Each of the babies has its own amniotic sac and its own placenta, which is as good as you can get when it comes to triplets. There is a 30% chance that the boys will be identical, but I have a suspicion that one will get the Greek genes from Mat and be dark haired with olive skin, and the other will be a fair-skinned redhead from my mom's genes. Baby A is a girl (they all stay in the same relative position, so we know we're always talking about the same one when we refer to A, B and C), and her name will be Adele. Baby B will be Samuel, after Mat's grandfather and my grandfather, and Baby C will be Michael after my dad. Our 'official' due date is August 17 (at 40 weeks), but we've been advised that they'll probably do a C-section around 35 weeks. So I'm hoping to see the kiddos around (and not before) early to mid July.

I have another ultrasound this week, so I'll update on the size of the little ones then. A month ago they were all about 1.3 pounds, which was average for single babies at that stage. At some point soon we'll start to see their growth rate dimish because they're getting crowded in there. I certainly can report that they're active little buggers and might be kicking each other already. I have ultrasounds every 2 weeks to check the length of my cervix (long is good, shorter is not so good...so far mine is long which is probably too much information), and every 4 weeks to check the growth of the babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment